5 Good Reasons to Use Coconut Oil in Your Hair (+ How To)
Coconut oil can be so beneficial for a number of reasons, and your hair is definitely on top of the list of health benefits. Do any of these words describe your hair: Dry, rough, coarse, damaged? If so coconut oil can work it’s magic and give you those luscious locks you’ve been dying to have!
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
1. Coconut oil contains powerful antioxidants
The antioxidants found in coconut oil serve as powerful agents in fighting against bacteria, viruses and fungus. When used on hair, it improves scalp health, fights infections and fungus, supports hair growth, all while adding volume and shine without the common harmful chemicals. (1)
2. Coconut oil is a natural hair care product
Many of those hair care products you see on the shelves in pharmacies are loaded with dangerous chemicals that are more likely to strip your hair of it’s natural oils rather than boosting it’s volume and shine. Opt. for coconut oil when you are looking for a way to repair damaged hair, the coconut oil will actually boost hair health rather than adding additional damage.
3. Improved Hair Growth
If you are looking to add length to your hair, be sure to use coconut oil! “Imagine your hair like a tube, hollow from the inside out. Coconut oil is able to completely penetrate this space, so the hair shafts are filled up and is given more body.” (2)
When your hair follicles are able to be moisturized by the coconut oil, your hair begins to grow.
4. Reduces Protein Loss
Amazingly, our hair is actually a total protein composition. When we loose protein from our hair, our hair will begin to look brittle and damaged. When you use coconut oil in your hair, the oil drastically reduces the amount of protein loss, and studies have shown that this is actually the only oil that can do so.
If you have ever used coconut oil as a moisturizer for your skin, you know how moisturizing it is. When you use coconut oil in your hair, it acts the same way it would on your skin, and can actually condition your hair from within. Coconut oil will leave your hair looking soft and shiny and can also protect it from hot styling tools as well as environmental damage.
Ways to Use Coconut Oil in Your Hair
- As a Daily Detangler: Not only does coconut oil serve as a natural styling product, a heat protector and a moisturizer for your hair, it can also be used as a detangler for knotty hair. If you have stubborn knotty hair or curly hair that is hard to brush, try adding a little melted coconut oil into your wet hair from the ends up to your roots and letting it sit for 5 minutes before brushing. You will be amazed at how much easier running that brush through your hair is when a little coconut oil is used.
- To Combat Dandruff: If you suffer with dandruff, coconut oil may be just the trick for you. This natural approach for beating dandruff can work as quickly as overnight. Massage a little bit of melted coconut oil into your hair, starting at your ends and wrap your hair in a towel and sleep with the coconut oil in your hair overnight for best results.
- As a Base for Hair Color: Due to coconut oil’s nourishing properties for hair, this oil works as an excellent base for hair coloring. Because coconut oil penetrates hair more deeply and faster than many other natural oils, it can help your color to be more vibrant and keep it from fading too quickly. (3)
What Kind of Coconut Oil Should you be Using
You may be wondering what kind of coconut oil is best used in hair, the kind you buy at the store or the type that specifically says for use of hair. There are also different variation such as refined, unrefined, organic, non-organic.
“Look for extra virgin, that has not been hydrogenated, bleached, refined or deodorized.” (4)
There are coconut oil products out there that are specifically labeled for use on hair and skin, however this is not necessary. If you are looking for the highest quality coconut oil, and one that you can enjoy cooking with as well, then look for a coconut oil that is extra virgin, organic, and unrefined so that you are covering all bases that you are purchasing a high quality oil.
If you decide the purchase an oil that is labeled for use on hair and skin, you can use the same guidelines when shopping for the highest quality oil.
Let’s look at each label, and why they matter when looking for a high quality coconut oil:
Unrefined Coconut Oil: Although this term plays a larger role when it comes to consuming the coconut oil as opposed to using it as a hair product, it can still make a difference in quality. This term generally means that the oil has not been bleached and that it actually still smells like coconuts V.S. the refined product which has no scent. Some people have noted that unrefined coconut oil can have a pungent odor after applying it to your hair. Stick with the unrefined product, it’s not only healthier but it will remind you of the tropics with its delicious coconut scent!
Organic Coconut Oil: If you are strictly using the coconut oil in your hair, then organic may not make that much of a difference. I recommend sticking to what is in your budget with this one. If you can go for the organic, organic can guarantee that it is GMO free, while also being an overall cleaner product. If organic is not in your budget then non-organic coconut oil will most likely moisturize your hair the same way organic will.
Virgin Coconut Oil: Unlike olive oil, the term virgin or extra virgin does not carry the same definition across all oil labels. Essentially the term virgin on a coconut oil label does not give you very much information because any company is allowed to put a label that says “virgin” on their coconut oil. (5)
The Easiest way to use Coconut Oil in Your Hair (Deep Conditioning Method)
- Apply a quarter sized of coconut oil onto your hair.
- Comb your hair, and tie it into a loose bun on the top of your head.
- Use a shower cap, and place a towel over your pillow before you go to bed.
- In the morning, wash your hair as usual, and rinse out the coconut oil.
- And just like that you have silky, smooth, beautiful hair!
Quick Moisture Method for Using Coconut Oil:
- Wash your hair as usual.
- Melt a quarter sized amount of coconut oil, and run the oil through your hair from the ends up to the roots.
- Comb your hair.
- Let the oil sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse & dry hair as usual.
5 Coconut Oil Hair Recipes:
- Coconut oil & honey hair mask: The Every Girl Blog
- Coconut oil hair repair treatment: Bonzaiaphrodite
- Lavender infused coconut oil treatment: Youbeauty
- Coconut oil hair mask: The Crunchy Moose Blog
- DIY coconut oil hair spritz: Peta2